Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Thoughts on horses real and imaginary

So I went horseback riding this past weekend.  Now as a gamer I have certain (unrealistic) expectations of how horseback riding should go.  When I ride a horse in a video game they respond to my every command promptly and happily.  And they can climb really steep hills.  Not quite how it plays out in real life.  It doesn't help that what I know about horses could fill a thimble.  I do know the basic commands: how to stop, turn, etc.  So I'm always baffled when the horse ignores me and does exactly what it wants.  On this trail ride I had a horse that would shake his head every time I tried to get him to do something.  His name was Shaker, appropriately.  It was funny and frustrating at the same time.  I love horses and I wish I had the time and money to actually learn to ride.  Alas I do not, so I think the next time I get an itch to go horseback riding I'll just pop in Red Dead Redemption and go riding around Mexico.  I don't have to deal with obnoxious trail guides and I get to go to Mexico in the 1800's.  Can't beat that!

No comments:

Post a Comment