Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Dive into Hell

 

   PS plus subscribers received Helldivers for free this month.  I was really excited by this since it's 4 person co-op.  I'm forever looking for co-op games that are worth playing.  There's not that many out there without a Battlefield or a Call of Duty in the name.  And I'm not that big on FPS.  So I got four friends together and we eagerly signed in.  Only to be told over and over that we couldn't join each other.  The servers were really bogged down.  So we tried again a few nights later.  This time we could play together.  It's a fun game and we had some laugh out loud moments.  One of the best parts of the game is it's satirical portrayal of democracy.  One of my favorite lines is "how about a nice cup of liber-tea?"  It's cute and adds a unique personality to the game.
   It does suffer from a few problems.  The servers are still spotty.  I get kicked a lot.  The gameplay is good; there's a ton of stuff to unlock and upgrade.  It does get repetitive because the objectives are the same no matter what planet you're on.  So far I've seen maybe 6 different types of objectives.  And there's anywhere from one to four on a planet that you have to complete.  After awhile it's a little boring.  The harder planets might have different objectives; I wouldn't know because the game is very unbalanced.  We can do a level 4 mission no sweat.  A level 5?  There's cursing and screaming and blood trails everywhere.  Some of the blame is probably on us; we're not the most co-ordinated of teams.  And teamwork is definitely essential.  But I don't really care because while the game does provide some fun for four people, I can't see it holding my attention for long.  It's
only helping me kill time til the Division comes out.  Three more weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment